Saturday, May 7, 2011

TEN BAND STEREO FREQUENCY EQUALIZER (GearBlog)

I have always hated letting gear go to waste. I honestly believe if a piece of gear still works – then it can have a function, providing a unique character to your sound palate.

This EQ unit [Realistic: Ten Band Stereo Frequency Equalizer] was provided to me from a friend who worked at a national television-broadcasting unit and was replacing gear from the studios etc. It has been with me for a few years though never really found a way to integrate it into my set up. 

The unit has a ton of character. The analogue circuitry inside sings when fed hot signals.


An interesting addition to the unit is its ‘IMX Stereo Expander’ function / depth control.


It sounds like it superimposes aggressive stereo widening, with equally aggressive harmonic saturation, as though it’s applied independently to each band of the EQ. I'm probably totally wrong – however, as extreme as it can get via the depth knob, I know I will be looking to use it for aggressive basses and leads.

I have additionally enjoyed using it whilst watching movies/video, when you drive the ‘IMX Stereo Expander’ it can get pretty hilarious.


No comments:

Post a Comment